We're on the hunt for last minute gifts--aren't you? Team Edible has made a list of our some of our favorites. You can't go wrong with #buylocal!
With shops in DC and Bethesda, as well as Columbia and Towson, the oils and vinegars here are some of the best quality you will find. And addictive! Delicious flavors like basil and rosemary oils and grapefruit basalmic; any home cook would be thrilled with these delightfully packaged gift sets. Check out their truffle salt too!
Local Artisan Cheeses
Cheese--a perfect hostess gift. Don't know what to bring to your next holiday gathering? How about a spread of local artisan cheeses? Here is a list of some of our favorites you can pick up at Stonyman Gourmet Farmer:
- Appalachian - Meadowcreek (Galax, VA)
- Bay Blue - Chapel's Country Creamery (Easton, MD)
- Catoctin - George's Mill Farm (Lovettesville, VA)
- Cheddar, Cave Aged - Hawk's Hill Creamery (Street, MD)
- Chesapeake Cheddar - P.A. Bowen Farmstand Cheese (Brandywine, MD)
- Esmontonian - Caromont Farm (Esmont, VA)
- Grayson - Meadowcreeek (Galax, VA)
- Monacacy Gold - Cherry Glen Goat Cheese Co. (Boyds, MD)
- Rainey's Dream - Chapel's Country Creamery (Easton, MD)
- Tomae - Shepherds Manor Creamery (New Windsor, MD)
- Goat Cheese - Firefly Farms Creamery (Deep Creek, MD)
Who doesn't love a nice bottle in their stocking and especially when it comes with an endearing local story? Greenhill Winery & Vineyards has a ton of great local varietals including a blanc de blancs (sparkling wine) perfect for the holiday season.
The Virginia Distillery Company is producing some excellent scotch style malt whiskey that would be a great addition to any bar. And it's brand new--so add in the cool factor there too!
Great gift ideas come from nature and American Plant has everything you need. Not to mention their Tinge Boutique. This is a true one-stop-shop for stocking stuffers and gift exchange presents ranging from jewelry, tabletop decor, throws and other small furniture items. And of course gorgeous plants.
Give the gift of local honey or better yet all-inclusive beekeeping services and support our pollinators. Best Bees fully takes care of everything and it's a great gift for a family for the kids to learn or as part of your corporate responsibility initiative utilizing the office rooftop. How great is this gift?
Again, on your way to a party? Trickling Springs' local shop at Union Market is full of ideas for treats. Their incredible line up of local, fresh, eggnog, chocolate milk and holiday-inspired ice cream flavors will make holiday visitors and party goers swoon.
This has become our new addiction - we throw a heaping spoonful to our yogurt for a hearty breakfast. They've launched a holiday sampler pack that offers flavors like pumpkin spice and cranberry pecan. Also, you can pick up bags at Trickling Springs in Union Market and at Whole Foods too.
The perfect gift for that avid cook who is always hunting down those rare spices. They have awesome ideas--stores in Alexandria on King Street and downtown Annapolis.
Get all your holiday meal shopping down with Balducci's and send locally curated gift baskets to your friends and family. They have an excellent selection of local VA wines!
Give the gift of health with Casey Health Institute's "Wellness Baskets" filled with healthy treats, wellness tips, lotions, and equipment for yoga, meditation, back care, nutrition, fitness and more...
Operates through the winter and has incredible vendors and crafts like these gorgeous wreathes -- started in 1932 by farmers' wives selling preserves, baked goods, and produce. You can also find Stoneyman Cheese there as well!
EdibleDC Magazine is a local small women owned business with a mission to promote eating locally and seasonally -- we publish quarterly on sustainable paper with soy ink. Give the gift of growing our local foodshed and sharing delightful stories about farmers, chefs, artisans with friends and family.
Cookbooks are such a good gift for foodies, and always many new ones out for gifting. Here our some of our favorites that you can quickly pick up at Kramerbooks & Afterwords in Dupont Circle or buy online or at other shops in the DMV:
- The Virginia Table - celebrates the artisans who make Virginia great ranging from cider and wine to chefs
- Seasons to Taste - local chef Jonathan Bardzik shares his favorites
- Soup for Syria - soup recipes from international chefs, the proceeds of the book support the Syrian refugee crisis
- NOPI - is the newest iteration of best selling cookbooks from Yottam Ottolenghi, we just love all of them
- The Southerner's Cookbook-from Garden & Gun, fun, authentic recipes that speak to many parts of our region
Charitable Gift Ideas
There are so many great charities, here are just a few!